Saturday, May 30, 2015

3) Belgium Life

This is the last day I am in Czech. I am in the Prague airport waiting the flight back to States right now. I saw the place we met the first day in the airport, it seems like everything happened yesterday. I miss all my friends already. I really had great time in Europe, maybe I will come back to Europe for graduate school someday. 
I visited one of my friend in Belgium. My friend told the tuition in Europe is not that bad even for international students. The other day I was in Belgium waiting the train from Brussels to Liege, I met a local ladie there, she told me the locals still needs to pay there tuition for the collage, however, there are a lot of scholarships. Students need to search by themself and the scholarship is easy apply. However, the young people in Belgium not really interested in go to collage. There is other thing really interesting. I feel the people in Belgium don't have much work either. The shop all close around 6pm. I traveled to gant on Monday. I was planed to visit a pretty castle in gant. I took 2hours from the train station to the castle, however, when I got there, the castle was closed on Monday. Because it was Pentecost day. "Pentecost (Ancient GreekΠεντηκοστή [ἡμέρα]Pentēkostē [hēmera], "the fiftieth [day]") is the Greek name for Shavuot, the Feast of Weeks, a prominent feast in the calendar of ancient Israel celebrating the giving of the Law on Sinai. This feast is still celebrated in Judaism as Shavuot. Later, in the Christian liturgical year, it became a feast commemorating the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and other followers of Jesus Christ (120 in all), as described in the Acts of the Apostles 2:1–31.[1] For this reason, Pentecost is sometimes described by some Christians today as the "Birthday of the Church". This is a Christians holiday, people may should have a break. But, after all the weekends and this Christian holiday, there is another day break on Thursday. All the train stop working, actually, the train stopped working from Wednesday evening at 10pm. I was taking the train from Brussels to Liege. There was stop between this two stops. I was so surprised they just stopped the train on one of the stops and tell us they are leaving. We need take bus or taxi back to home.  
In Belgium, not all the people can speck English, but it is better than we were in Czech. If you travel to Belgium,there is a possibility you will fell lost your translate if you cannot speck French.
The chocolate definitely worth to try. And also, you cannot miss the waffles and beer. I feel like all the European countries are saying they are having the best beer in their own country.
When we were in Czech, the beer is way cheaper than another place I think.
If you are planing travel to Belgium in the futures someday. I highly recommend you but the train pass. The pass will cost 57 Euro and you can use 10 times. In Belgium has very convenient public transpositions. You have to fill the tickets out before you get on the train, otherwise you have to pay fine.
The other thing I want to say is when you doing the Tax Refund you should be more careful.This is what I learned this time. Generally, you can do the Tax Refund 30 days before you leave the county. You can do Tax Refund in any Shen-gen country, but it has to be the last departure airport on your journey; The second thing, since all the Shen-gen countries use different currency, the airport you go, they will use their own currency. For example, in my case, I bought things in Italy, on the paper shows I suppose get 180 Euro back, but is you go to Prague airport, you can only get 150 Euro. Because Prague airport only can shows CZK in their system, if you want to Euro or Dollar, they have to doing the exchange, and the exchange rate is generally not really good. The last thing, if can do the credit card refund. You can write your credit card number on the paper, and leave everything there. It might will take one month to process, and it has big possibility you will get nothing. If you would rather doing it by cash, Do not fill your card number in that paper, otherwise, you wouldn't get any cash back. Actually, I've done this tax refund things is some different counties before, this is the first time I am so confused. I think European Union definitely helps these countries develop their economy, however,when I was doing the tax refund thing, I feel like there still have some thing they are not really connect to each other.  
I can't believe this is end of the program already. I really had good time during this program. I am so thankful every person I met during this semester. Wish you all the best. 

1 comment: